If you produce a video podcast, you can publish it to Spotify using Spotify for Podcasters. If you’re hosted with Spotify for Podcasters, continue to read through the steps below to upload your video episodes. You can also check out how to upload audio episodes if you only have audio.
Note: It's against our Terms of Service to upload video that belongs to someone else.
How to upload video files
- Click New Episode on the top-right section of the navigation bar.
- Choose a video file to upload. You can click to browse your computer, or simply drag a file onto the page to start your upload.
- While your upload continues, you can fill in details for your episode like a title, description, publishing date, and more.
- We upload, then process your video. This can take some time, depending on the size of the file. You can preview your video episode once it’s processed.
- On the next screen, you can optionally add interactive elements for your audience on Spotify. We currently offer Q&A and Polls.
- Next, if you’re eligible and signed up for monetization features, you’ll be able to manage your ad breaks and/or set your episode to be subscriber-only.
- Finally, review your video episode. You can publish right away, or schedule it for the future if you choose a time in the future in step 3.
You’ll receive an email that lets you know your episode is transcoding, and another once it’s completed. Your video episode will be live on Spotify either instantly, or at your scheduled publish time. In addition, audio from your video will be available through RSS.
If at any point you want to save your work and return later, just click the X in the top-right corner.
Supported file types and recommendations
We support MOV and MP4 video files.
Spotify for Podcasters doesn’t have a file size limit, but note that larger files will take time to process and can have a higher chance of failing if your internet connection is interrupted.
If you’re encoding your video files, here’s our recommendations on both video and audio specifications:
- Your file must contain only one video track and one audio track
- The duration of your file cannot be longer than 12 hours
- H.264 High Profile
- 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
- Maximum bitrates of 25 Mbps for 1080p source, or 35 Mbps for 4k source
- Use the source’s native frame rate
- Bitrate of 192 Kbps or higher
- Surround/multi-channel audio is not supported
Important info about video episodes
- Video episodes are only available on Spotify. On other platforms, your episode will be audio-only.
- To monetize your video episodes, check out Podcast Subscriptions.
- You can replace your existing audio-only episodes with video episodes. Learn more
Creating a video episode on Riverside.fm
Issues with uploading video
If you're getting an error during the upload process, there could be a few things at play.
Try checking these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure you’re using a file type that's supported under our Supported file types and recommendations.
- Double-check that the video file plays properly on your device.
If you’re still encountering issues, contact us.